Saturday 1 June 2013

Tim Tam Cake

Did you know that Tim Tams are the best biscuits in the World? Well in my opinion anyway. Last weekend I made a little change to the Australian classic and made a giant sized cake resembling a Tim Tam. Two sponges stuck together using a thick chocolate icing, with crushed Tim Tams hidden in the middle and a chocolate ganache topped this cake. It really looked like a Tim Tam and a yummy one at that!

The thing I did well in making the cake was the ganache topping. The chocolate and cream combined really well and tasted sweet, whilst also giving the cake a Tim Tam look. The component that needs improving would probably be the two sponges. They tasted very egg like and next time I make the cake I will use a recipe I know will work better, as I was unfamiliar with the one I used  for this cake. On the whole the cake tasted extremely chocolaty, which prompted my siblings to make jokes about clogged arteries and heart attacks due to it. The appearance of the cake was that of a giant Tim Tam with the chocolate coat and the layers of chocolate and biscuit. 

The making and construction of this cake took around 3 hours due to the sheer amount of baking, freezing and construction time. First I had to make the sponges  that represented the biscuit  layers of the Tim Tam. Next was the thick, light coloured chocolate icing for the centre that stuck the sponges together. 


Then I crushed up a packet of Tim Tams and added them to the centre icing for a crunchy surprise. 


The cake then began to resemble a real Tim Tam with two layers of biscuit with a layer of soft chocolate in the middle. 


This led to the final step of making the chocolate ganache topping and pouring it over the Tim Tam to create a real biscuit look. 


That's it for another post and I hope anyone who sees this cake will give it a try. I will hopefully be back in a couple of days with Italian cheese cake or another yummy dessert. Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment